[omniORB] Configuring redundant/fail-over naming service w/ omniORB

Duncan Grisby duncan at grisby.org
Thu Nov 3 13:54:38 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 1 November, Steve Rowe wrote:

> We would like to have a redundant/fail-over naming service in our system in
> case the active naming service process quits working (e.g. if the machine
> hosting the naming service locks up or quits running, etc.).
>
> I haven't been able to determine how to set this up, but was wondering if
> someone on this list can point me to some documentation or provide some
> notes on their experience of setting something like this up.

omniNames does not itself support replication, so it's not going to
automatically copy names between instances. If you want more than one
naming service, servers publishing references will have to explicitly
publish them in all instances.

For clients, you can configure them to have the locations of multiple
instances, and they will try them in turn. e.g. in omniORB.cfg you can
have something like

InitRef = NameService = corbaloc:iiop:1.2 at first.host.name:2809,1.2 at second.host.name:2809/NameService