[omniORB] Distribution of programs using omniORB

Alex Tingle alex.tingle at bronermetals.com
Mon Nov 29 15:32:03 GMT 2004

Birgit,

> My question is: how can I find out which files are neccessary to
> distribute
> with my program? Is the a runtime environment like the Java JRE? Or a
> list
> which files are needed? Or what can I do?

If you plan to ship a cut-down version of omniORB along with your
product, I suggest that you read the LGPL very carefully. At the very
least you have to either include the source code to the version of the
library THAT YOU SHIP, or offer to provide that source code by mail. I
also suggest you read the FSF's FAQ on the subject:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DistributeWithSourceOnInternet

In my opinion it's *much* too much bother to try shipping cut-down
versions of the package. If you are using windows, you would be better
off just shipping the zip file, straight from Sourceforge. You can
unpack & install it using InstallShield, so that your customers don't
have to mess about with their PATH etc.

-Alex Tingle

--
Dammit Jim, I'm a programmer... not a mind reader!