[omniORB] omninames - two problems (hanging and too many open connections)

Tomasz Bech tbech at polbox.com
Thu Mar 25 13:09:45 GMT 2004

Hi all,
(omniORB 4.0.2,  AIX 5)
Recenlty we have strange hanging in calling the omniNames service.
It started to hang when we multiplied the amount of servers, so more
binds were done to NaminContext.
Problem is that we cannot find the real scenario of hanging (it appears
once a day, sometimes once a week).

What I observed is there are about 160 open port connections to
omniNames. I think that it could be problem, so tried to decrease it by
calling the destroy on NamingContext.
Clients only need to call 'resolve' on  NamingContext - so after this
call I do NamingContext_instance.destroy(). Unfortunately it throws
BAD_OPERATION. Why?
If so, how to destroy the connection from client to omniNames to its
NamingContext (it needs one port connection open and one thread, which
in fact is not needed any longer after 'resolve')?

Could the servers which do 'bind' on NamingContext  also somehow
close/destroy connection to omniNames just after bind?

Any other idea about hanging?

(Stress test shows that we can create plenty of connections to
omniNames, many bind/unbind also works, but in long run it somehow
happens that is hangs in production and not in the test - the same
machine, the same environment, hmm, strange).
Thanks,
    Tom