[omniORB] IDL support for automake

Vladimir Panov gbr at voidland.org
Sat Jul 17 04:19:34 BST 2004

Hi, Alex.

Well, maybe there is a bit of a misunderstanding :-) The accent of
autotools-idl is the IDL support for automake which is fairly complete,
I believe. Hence the 0.9.0 version.
The ORB detection macros are just demos. Now I see that the decision to
keep the versions of the automake patch and the autoconf macros in sync
was a bad one. I just changed the latter to 0.1.0.
automake-idl has some specific requirements (
http://autotools-idl.sourceforge.net/automake-idl.html#Requirements )
which are not hard to fulfil. One is not bound to use autodetection at all.

>Did you look at my omniORB Autoconf macros? They works for a variety of
>compilers on a variety of platforms:
>
>  http://www.firetree.net/omnievents/aclocal.d/index.html

I'll check them as soon as possible.

>Or the GradSoft ones?
>
>  http://corbaconf.kiev.ua

I might check them, too. I'm a bit concerned about the license. It
doesn't look very GPL-compatible to me.

>Your macros only seem to work on Linux-like platforms. For example, you
>seem to assume that shared libraries always have the extension .so,
>whilst in fact they are .a on AIX and .sl on HPUX.

It's a known issue :-)

>On the other hand, my macros don't detect MICO,

Well, my MICO macro is very simple - it uses the recently added
mico-config shell script (available only in the latest release, 2.3.11).
And should be portable, too (additionally tested under CygWin).

>Perhaps we can work together?

Sure :-) Tell me:
1) if you'd like to make your macros automake-idl-compatible
or
2) if you have any suggestions to make the automake-idl requirements better.

Vlado