[omniORB] All apologize regarding omniORB/omniNotify 64 bit issue

Frederic Prin frederic.prin at silvaco.com
Tue Jul 13 16:34:22 BST 2004

Hi all,

To all people that I hassle with mu previous mail on 64/32 bit issue, I
apologize!
The issue was on my side
. (shame on me)

I can assert the both omniORB-4.0.3 and omniNotify-2.0 works well
regarding 64 bits platforms.

For those who are interrested on 64 bits issue, this is the explanation:
- omniNotify StructuredEvent use Any to store event members.
- I was packing, sender side, a native unsigned long into an Any event
member, sending the event, then unpacking, receiver side, the event
member to a native unsigned long.
(my error was to use native type and not wrapped portable CORBA type

Fortunatly my honor is safe since the error was not on my part of code!
)

That works well when both sender/receiver pack/unpack with the same
native type size (32<->32 and 64<->64).
But when you mix memory models for example (32<->64) a 32bits sender and
a 64bits receiver bit app, packing unsigned long on 32 bit and unpacking
unsigned long on 64 bits is wrong!
(In fact the CORBA::Any >>= operator returns false.)
- An unsigned long is 8 bytes on my both 64 bits systems
- An unsigned long is 4 bytes on all my 32 bits systems

That was trivial
.

So don't forget to use CORBA wrapped type instead of native type with
CORBA::Any.

Sorry for all that noise...

FredP

                              (