[omniORB] omniorb C++ client connecting to a Java server

Nikos Karamessinis nightfall_gr at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 27 03:35:41 GMT 2004

Hello,
I am trying to create an OmniOrb C++ client which connects to a Java (JDK 1.4.1) server in order to run a function  (guess which: String sayHello() ). I want to use the Sun's ORBD Naming server. The Java server works fine ( I have tested it with a Java client) and the C++ client is compiled and built fine. However, when I run the client ( I have already run the orbd and the Java server) it fails at the following line of code:
obj = orb->resolve_initial_references("NameService");

throwing an Exception. I run the orbd, server and client as follows:

start orbd -ORBInitialPort 1088 -ORBInitialHost 127.0.0.1

java HelloServer -ORBInitialPort 1088 &

client 127.0.0.1 1088

Am I running the client with wrong parameters? Am I forgetting something? I will really appreciate any help since I have very little experience in CORBA programming