[omniORB] persistent references and unix sockets

Ahlborn, James T (MED) James.Ahlborn at med.ge.com
Tue Aug 17 12:01:00 BST 2004

hi,

i understand from reading past info on this list that although omniorb
does not
have an ImR, i can implement persistent references by assigning port
numbers to
each corba application and using a persistent poa where i assign the
object ids.
 the part i don't understand is whether or not the persistence will work
when
using unix sockets for local machine communication.  my config spec has
the
params set up so that local processes prefer to use unix sockets for
communication, and from what i can tell (although i haven't tested this
yet), if
i stop and restart a corba server using the persistence technique above,
the IOR
will have the same tcp information, but different unix socket
information (a tmp
file generated based on the process pid).

my guesses as to what will happen:

1. (the ideal case) the client/server somehow resync using the known tcp
connection, and then fallback on the speedier unix connection.
2. the client/server resync using the known tcp connection and continue
using
that for future communication.
3. (the worst case) the client/server cannot find each other again.

basically, i guess my question is that if i want to use unix sockets for
speedier local communication as well as have persistent references, do i
need to
specify *both* the tcp port *and* the unix socket file name?

thanks,
-james