[omniORB] Intermittent protocol errors

Mike Mascari mascarm at mascari.com
Wed Sep 24 17:42:38 BST 2003

Hi.

I have an application of the form:

Apache+Tomcat+JacORB <-> omniORB

Occasionally, omniORB outputs:

"Send GIOP 1.2 MessageError because a protocol error has been
detected. Connection is closed."

which, as the message states, drops the JacORB connection. This error
occurs maybe once every maybe 200000 invocations. I've added code to
the server to log when a method is being invoked and when the method
completes, and the error does not occur within the execution of the
application code itself. And the error occurs after the apparent
successful completion of different methods.

Is there a way to generate more output when the protocol errors occur,
or should I bite the bullet and log the server at traceLevel 40 for a
few days? Is there any way to survive the protocol error?

This is:

omniORB 4.0.1
JacORB 1.4.1 & JacORB 2.0beta1
Linux 2.2.19