[omniORB] TRANSIENT_CallTimedout

Daniel Greenblatt dan at cgl.ucsf.edu
Mon Nov 10 15:30:22 GMT 2003

I am a little confused as to how omniORB measures the timeout when
invoking a method on a remote object.

Let's say I've set a ORB-wide clientCallTimeoutPeriod of 2 seconds.
If I make call on a remote object, where one of the input parameters is a
data structure containing a fair bit of information, say a
megabyte, and I get a TRANSIENT_CallTimedout error, do I have any
guarantee as to whether or not the remote method started executing?

Do these timeouts start from when the call is made, and go until the call
returns? If so, is there any way to tell whether the remote method
starting executing already, or if the timeout triggered before execution
could start?

Thanks,
Dan Greenblatt

Daniel Greenblatt