[omniORB] newbie quick queries

Eric Damphousse ericdamphousse at darwingroup.net
Sun Jun 29 23:51:25 BST 2003

Hi Ulf,

Thanks for the reply... That helps quite a bit. There are definitely
pros and cons to automatic server activation, one big one that comes to
mind is security. I have dealt in the past with DCOM security and, well,
ouch. I can definitely move ahead with servers pre activated for now.

Since I have you "on the line", I have been playing around with one
little servant object I have written that returns the host name of the
machine it is currently running on. My current setup is as such: 1
Solaris for my client and 1 active servant object, 1 XP that is running
the name service and 1 Linux that is also running an active servant
object. Both servant objects are identical, i.e., they return the host
name of the box. I have create a simple naming service hierarchy, being
Hillsboro.Tests/TestObject.

When I deactivate the servant object running on my Solaris box, and run
the client, all works beautifully, i.e. the servant object running on
the Linux system responds correctly. If I start the servant object on my
Solaris box then rerun the client, I get a CORBA::SystemException:
N5CORBA12COMM_FAILUREE on the client and a core dump of my servant
object on the Solaris box, and I am not to sure why. My guess is that my
name service is not properly setup, i.e. is it not specific enough. I
have a few ideas that might fix the problem, but I cant say I feel at
ease with them. So my question is how does one deal with such a setup in
a CORBA way of doing things?

Thanks again....
Eric