[omniORB] newbie quick queries

Ulf Stoermer ulf at emi.yamaha.co.jp
Mon Jun 30 10:52:25 BST 2003

Hi Eric,

even though CORBA and COM are conceptually very similar
this is an area where they differ completely.
CORBA doesn't provide for automatic server activation on ORB level.
In this case you need the help of an implementation repository.
Turn to chapter 14.4 of your book Advanced CORBA Programming
to read in more detail about it.
OmniORB doesn't offer an implementation repository at the moment
but it should be possible to use one from another vendor/project
e.g. from the TAO orb.
On the other hand, a bunch of people are currently working on an
implementation repository for Omni, but I have no idea what the
current status is. Maybe someone of them can speak out?

Cheers

Ulf