[omniORB] endPointPublishAllIFs and java clients

Stephen Wark swark at marathontechnologies.com
Tue Jun 24 09:42:24 BST 2003

We are developing a product where we are using omniORB to provide an
interface for it's system manamgement utilities. The orb will always be
running on multihomed hosts.  If I set endPointPublishAllIFs to 1, I see all
the non-loopback IP addresses in the IOR as expected.  A test C++ client
build using omniORB works just fine, connecting to the address it can see.
Java clients, however, only try one address, and if it fails, do not try any
others.  I've tried JacORB and Sun's included ORB (jdk 1.4.1).  The JacORB
source clearly just chooses one and sticks with it, Sun's docs indicate that
it doesn't support multiple profiles in JDK 1.4.1.  So....

Does anyone know of a Java client implementation that supports multiple
profiles?  Is that the correct term for what endPointPublishAllIFs provides?

Is there a way to program around the problem (Portable Interceptors seems
like an option)?  Has anyone already done this, and can gprovide some hints,
or even code?

Thanks,

Steve Wark