[omniORB] AIX patch

Mark Zimmerman markzimm@frii.com
Tue Jan 7 15:08:01 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 10:06:29AM +0000, Duncan Grisby wrote:
> On Friday 20 December, Mark Zimmerman wrote:
>
> > > Are there any problems to include the patch into the main sources (with
> > > compilation only for AIX) ?
> >
> > I have wondered about this too but it is a separate issue which will
> > probably involve extended discussion in a new thread.
>
> The reason the AIX patch is separate is that it involves a radical
> change to the declaration order of the operators in cdrStream.h. The
> AIX compiler is the only one that doesn't like the declarations in the
> unpatched file. We have always been too scared to make the change in
> the normal distribution, since we have no way to know if it will break
> on any other compilers. It would, of course, be possible to put both
> versions of the code in, with ifdefs, but that would make the code
> much harder to read and maintain.
>
> I intend to turn the patch into a context diff, so it will work with
> AIX patch. Can someone come up with a definitive statement about what
> extension the omniidlmodule library should have?

Since I'm not an AIXpert by any means, here is the only definitive
statement I can make: "On my system (AIX 4.3, VisualAge Version 5,
Python 2.0), omniidlmodule must be a .so file."

I hope that we can get a true AIXpert to admit to at least the
following: "It does no harm to make omniidlmodule a .so file."

If this statement can be made without additional obfuscatory text, so
much the better.

-- Mark