[omniORB] General ORB questions

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Tue Jan 7 12:31:01 2003

On Monday 6 January, "Kai Schofield" wrote:

> As you stated in your reply, the ORB shipped with the JDK is not very
> suitable for commercial, high-performance applications and so I decided to
> try out omniORB.

You are very very confused about what an ORB is.

An ORB is a set of programming language libraries that allow
applications to talk to each other using the CORBA standard object
model and protocols. Since it is a set of libraries, those libraries
have to be available for the programming language you are using.
omniORB does not have Java libraries, so you cannot use omniORB as the
ORB for your Java code.

You are currently using the JDK built-in CORBA libraries for Java. If
you want to use different libraries, try JacORB or OpenORB.

The one bit of omniORB you are using is the naming service. That isn't
an ORB -- it is a program that uses the omniORB libraries. Its
function is to associate names to objects elsewhere. Think of it like
a telephone directory. What you are saying is equivalent to saying
that you aren't satisfied with the quality of your phone lines, so you
have started using a telephone directory from a different directory
provider. You are still using the same phone lines, so it hasn't made
any difference to your actual problem.

You really have no reason at all to be using omniORB unless you want
to write C++ or Python application code. If you want to write Java
application code, you need a Java ORB implementation.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --