[omniORB] Connecting to the remote server

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Wed Feb 12 13:43:01 2003

On Wednesday 12 February, "Evelin Halling" wrote:

> I know ip address and port number where the corba server is running
> and i have server's idl files.

That is not sufficient information to contact the object. The client
ORB also needs to know the object key of the object within the server
process.  Normally, the client ORB gets that information from the
IOR.

> So i'm trying to connect to the server to get the IOR and
> execute remote functions.

In CORBA you don't connect to a server to get its IOR, you use an IOR
to connect to a server.

You have three options:

 1. Get the stringified IOR from the server to the client in some way,
    such as on the command line (like the simple omniORB examples do),
    or in a file, or any other means that is appropriate.

 2. Have the server register the object you need to contact in the
    CORBA naming service. Client and server must use the same naming
    service instance (i.e. they have the same InitRef in their
    configuration files). There are examples of this in the omniORBpy
    examples directory.

 3. Activate the object on the server in the omniINSPOA, and then use
    a corbaloc URI to reference the object by name. This assumes that
    the server is using omniORB.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --