[omniORB] Conflicting omniORBpy and PyORBit

Thomas Lockhart lockhart at fourpalms.org
Fri Aug 22 08:05:30 BST 2003

> If you have two Corba implementation, obviously you must do something to
> indicate which to use.

For Linux RPM packaging, I'm inclined to break off omniORB's top-level
CORBA.py into a separate RPM to make this conflict manageable. Not sure
what to call the package; we currently have

   omniORBpy
   omniORBpy-devel
   omniORBpy-doc

How about "-boot" or "-toplevel" or "-default" or ?? Perhaps the
"omniORB.pth" which is installed by the RPMs at the top level should be
in this same category, since it exposes omniORB/COS IDL stubs at the top
level, leading to possible conflicts with another ORB. Suggestions and
comments?

Duncan suggested having omniORB/CORBA.py register itself as "CORBA" so
that only the first reference needs to have the "from omniORB". That
sounds interesting; should we move forward on that also? We *could* also
modify sys.path to expose omniORB/COS *only* if omniORB/CORBA.py is
loaded (eliminating omniORB.pth altogether). Comments?

                   - Tom