[omniORB] Conflicting omniORBpy and PyORBit

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Fri Aug 22 10:41:11 BST 2003

>>>>> ml <ml at knorke.in-berlin.de> (m) wrote:

m> Hi,
m> I want to have both omniORBpy and PyORBit installed in
m> parallel.  The first, because I use it for my own
m> applications, the latter, because some GNOME programs depend
m> on python-gnome2 and therefore on PyORBit.  Unfortunately,
m> both packages include a file
m> /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/CORBA.py
m> which leads to the conflict.

m> What is the best solution?  What does the standard say?  How
m> has this been dealt with in the past?  Some ideas:

OmniORB's CORBA.py just loads CORBA.py from the omniORB directory. This is
so that you can write
import CORBA
rather than
from omniORB import CORBA.

I guess PyORBit might do a similar thing.
If you have two Corba implementation, obviously you must do something to
indicate which to use. As you use omniORB for your own applications the
easiest I think would be to remove omniORB's CORBA.py (in site-packages,
not in the omniORB subdirectory), and use "from omniORB import CORBA" in
your programs.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum at hccnet.nl