[omniORB] Re: [pygtk] Conflicting omniORBpy and PyORBit

Christian Reis kiko at async.com.br
Thu Aug 14 16:01:13 BST 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 08:57:09AM -0400, Jon Willeke wrote:
> If you want to keep the convenience of a top-level CORBA module, perhaps
> you could adapt PyGTK's version selection code: use a .pth file to set
> the default ORB.  A program that knows it needs a specific ORB could
> still import it explicitly.

This was a *very* serious support issue for PyGTK and I would *strongly*
suggest we not incur in this overhead again.  I would much rather we had
a specific module name for each CORBA module.

What should be done is something like:

    from PyORBit import CORBA

which magically set things up so that the next

    import CORBA

loads the PyORBit version automatically. This is a matter of some
sys.path hackery, as we do in ZODB -- ugly, perhaps, but a lot more
effective than trying to steer people through a maze of sys.path
problems.

Take care,