[omniORB] Re: [pygtk] Conflicting omniORBpy and PyORBit

Jon Willeke willeke at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Aug 14 09:57:09 BST 2003

I haven't used either ORB, so forgive me if I speak from a position of
ignorance.

With the introduction of the portable object adapter in CORBA 2.2, a
program may need minimal changes to use one ORB or another, but you
still need to choose at link time which to use.  The last time I looked
at Orbix and VisiBroker, building a program for both ORBs was not a
trivial matter.

If you want to keep the convenience of a top-level CORBA module, perhaps
you could adapt PyGTK's version selection code: use a .pth file to set
the default ORB.  A program that knows it needs a specific ORB could
still import it explicitly.