[omniORB] Minor patch to windows build

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Wed Apr 9 14:54:01 2003

On Wednesday 9 April, "Mark Hammond" wrote:

> I have made a simple patch to the build system, so that omniidl will compile
> on windows from a Python source tree (rather than just a binary installed
> version).

Thanks for that. I've checked it in to CVS.

[...]
> Would patches that removed some hacks via cygpath and/or autoconf be
> welcomed, even if they were "one-step-at-a-time" type patches?  I guess it
> would mean updating your "minimal cygwin".  A potential future win is that
> it would open the door to using the via the cygwin Python builds.

I'm not sure whether it's worth the bother. The whole build system is
a terrible mess, built out of a combination of several earlier
systems, with all sorts of hacks to work around problems and platform
differences. I think tweaking it even more, especially if it means
having to change the current minimal cygwin thing, is only really
compounding the problem.

I think that by far the best thing to do is to throw out the whole
build system and replace it with something simpler and cleaner. I was
intending to do that for omniORB 4.0, but it never happened. I really
do want it to happen for 4.1.

> Oh - and finally, it seems the devel branch is currently fails on Windows
> (well, 12 hours ago anyway!) :)  That isn't a problem for me though, I'm on
> 4.0.1.

That was due to a silly bug in reusing a variable name in a for loop.
It's fixed now.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --