[omniORB] Without auto activation, what alternate designs?

Duncan Grisby duncan@grisby.org
Wed Apr 9 13:57:01 2003

On Tuesday 1 April, Charles Anstey wrote:

> Now I am sure that OmniOrb is not useless and there are projects that
> require fault-tolerance that use it so my question is: What designs are
> people using to get around auto activation as the way to handle crashing
> services?  Ideally a service should not crash but it can happen anyway
> and I cannot see a way around requiring an implemenation repository that
> can start services on demand without adding complexity to the clients.

It's easy to make servers that always start up with the same endpoint
and POA details, meaning object references remain valid. omniNames
does that, for example. Then the only issue is to wrap the program in
a script that restarts it if it dies.

If you require auto-activation, it's quite easy to build a specific
purpose activation daemon, especially if you write it in Python. There
has recently been discussion about building a full ImR for omniORB.
I'm not sure how that's progressing.

  -- duncan@grisby.org     --
   -- http://www.grisby.org --