[omniORB] Beginner's question on IOR and multiple interfaces

Jens Nissen jens.nissen@gmx.net
Tue Sep 10 14:13:01 2002

I want to implement a server object, which exposes two or more interfaces to
its internal representation.
If an IOR is a reference to an object, I would expect, that all interfaces
"share" the same IOR, as they expose the same object. The client uses _narrow
to select the interface and thus the proper "view" on the (internal) object.
Looking at the code generated by omniidl (from OmniORB3), it looks as if
each of the interfaces has its own IOR.
(a) Does each interface have to have its own IOR?
(b) If yes, how does the client know, which IORs belong together?
(c) If no, how do I have to rewrite the server to make the interfaces expose
the same IOR?
(d) If yes (again), why is that so? (Historic? Easier to implement?
Philosphy of CORBA?)

Thanks in advance,

Jens

http://www.gmx.net