[omniORB] using multiple ports

baileyk@schneider.com baileyk@schneider.com
Tue Nov 19 18:08:00 2002

Faced with the same problem, I think I would write a special port finding
application, such that it reads the application name on stdin and writes
the official port on stdout.  The real application can then spawn this
(popen) prior to initializing it's orb and not go through two orb
creations.  Using omniORBpy, the port finding app might take only a few
minutes to write, and would be easy to maintain.

Kendall

                    "Renzo Tomaselli"
                    <renzo.tomaselli@tecnotp.it>       To:     "Omniorb list" <omniorb-list@realvnc.com>
                    Sent by:                           cc:
                    omniorb-list-admin@omniorb-s       Fax to:
                    upport.com                         Subject:     [omniORB] using multiple ports

                    11/19/2002 11:29 AM

Hi all,
    in our framework we keep a kind of db registry to track server
applications together with their official port. Such a registry is itself a
distributed CORBA obj, so that any application needs a fully initialized
orb
to access it. The receiving part of the orb is needed too, because of
callback objects.
Till now, we pass that port along with other parameters to initialize
OmniORB through ORB_init.
As a matter of consistency, I would like to remove this redundant startup
port and modify application startup according to the sequence:
- init the orb through the usual (os-chosen) random port.
- access the remote registry and pick up the official port.
- reinit the orb adding the new port in ORB_init.

AFAIK, this sequence should yield an orb listening at both ports, as well
as
any IOR generated from it (after reinit) would contains both profiles. Then
any V3.04 client will contact the target through the first profile while
any
V4.0 target could use both (shouldn't occur in this context), unless a IOR
is generated by hand using the official port only.
In any case things should run fine.
Can anybody confirm this sequence ?
Thanks,

Renzo Tomaselli