[omniORB] using multiple ports

Renzo Tomaselli renzo.tomaselli@tecnotp.it
Tue Nov 19 17:30:01 2002

Hi all,
    in our framework we keep a kind of db registry to track server
applications together with their official port. Such a registry is itself a
distributed CORBA obj, so that any application needs a fully initialized orb
to access it. The receiving part of the orb is needed too, because of
callback objects.
Till now, we pass that port along with other parameters to initialize
OmniORB through ORB_init.
As a matter of consistency, I would like to remove this redundant startup
port and modify application startup according to the sequence:
- init the orb through the usual (os-chosen) random port.
- access the remote registry and pick up the official port.
- reinit the orb adding the new port in ORB_init.

AFAIK, this sequence should yield an orb listening at both ports, as well as
any IOR generated from it (after reinit) would contains both profiles. Then
any V3.04 client will contact the target through the first profile while any
V4.0 target could use both (shouldn't occur in this context), unless a IOR
is generated by hand using the official port only.
In any case things should run fine.
Can anybody confirm this sequence ?
Thanks,

Renzo Tomaselli