[omniORB] callback timercalls in ORBserver

Heinrich Götzger Heinrich.Goetzger@exploding-systems.de
Wed Nov 6 20:51:01 2002

Duncan,

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Duncan Grisby wrote:

>On Monday 4 November, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Heinrich_G=F6tzger?= wrote:
>
>> if I get it right, after doing
>>     orb->run();
>> the control over my process is with omniorb now.
>
>Yes. However, if your process has other things to do, there is no need
>to call orb->run() -- omniORB uses its own threads, so it is quite
>happy if you never call run().
Thats great! I didn't know that.

Well, in a mail on the list close to mine you pointed this out already and
it works fine now. Unfortunately I read it after posting :-(

>> I'm looking for some easy way to start timers (callbacks) in a some
>> objects created by my server. I heard that omniORB has a very good timing
>> framework doing stuff like this.
>
>I don't quite understand what you mean. omniORB doesn't have a timing
>framework that applications can use. Can you explain what you are
>trying to achieve?

I was thinking about some methods where I can register a callback
function/method which will be called after a certain time; i.e:

register(300, method1); // calls void method1() after 300 ms

See this just as an idea. And this is nothing which has to do with ORBs
anyway but someone said something like this to me earlier, I can't
remember very well what it was exactly.

kind regards

Heinrich