[omniORB] linux build question

Robert E. Gruber gruber@research.att.com
Fri, 10 May 2002 15:54:31 -0400

A question for linux gurus...

When I build notifd (the omniNotify daemon) on my linux box
it links against this library:
  libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
However, the binary release of omniORB304,
omniORB_304_x86_linux_2.0_glibc2.1.tar.gz,
links against this library:
  libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2

I think this a problem; it may be causing a segfault.
(If I rebuild the omniORB libraries, the segfault goes away.)

I have the following versions of libstdc++ and glibc:
  > rpm -q libstdc++ glibc
  libstdc++-2.96-98
  glibc-2.2.4-24

Here are the questions:
  1. Am I right that there is a problem?
  2. Can I build against the older library using
      my current setup, or do I need to install some
      older stuff (how do I do that without getting
      rid of current stuff)?
  3. What is the right way to release an
     omniNotify binary for linux?
        -> build against the same library as omniORB304 binary
        -> release a new omniORB304 binary built against glibc2.2
            and release omniNotify binary also built against glibc2.2
        -> do both?

Thanks in advance,
-- Bob