[omniORB] Memory leak in CORBA any

Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:43:18 +0000

On Tuesday 26 March, David Hyde wrote:

> You say that you don't link to msvcstub.lib.  If I leave this out then the
> app falls over after the first couple of messages are received.  Are you
> building with MSVC++?  I remember reading that this library is required for
> building with MSVC++ which is why I use it.  If I leave msvcstubd.lib from
> the debug build then it falls over quite quickly as well.

When you say the app falls over, does it die with something about
crtIsValidHeapPointer?  I suspect that the memory leak you are seeing
is due to mixing debug modes for libraries and application code. The
allocator is failing to free things, since the free happens in a
different memory pool to the allocation.

Check all your debug settings. msvcstub shouldn't be relevant -- it's
purpose is to provide dummy versions of some symbols from the
omniDynamic library that MSCV sometimes decides have to be defined.
If it's affecting memory use and crashes, it's just a side-effect, not
the intended one.