[omniORB] Use of _non_existent

Wilson Jimmy - jiwils Jimmy.Wilson@acxiom.com
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:43:31 -0600

> You can have a look at the CORBA spec's at http://www.omg.org/ , the
>_non_existent
>method is described under 4.3.5 Probing for Object Non-Existance. As i
>read it
>the method checks for the existence of an object possibly by means of a
>servant.

The passage you're referring to is the following I think:

"Probing for object non-existence may require contacting the ORB that
implements the target object."

Doesn't that mean that it is talking to the ORB as distinguished from the
application (servant skeleton implementation) code?  The reason I draw that
conclusion is the statement in the first paragraph of the section:

"It does this without invoking any application level operation on the
object, and so will never affect the object itself."

I am reading from version 2.6 of the spec, did slightly older versions
(2.5/2.4) say differently?  Am I drawing the correct conclusion?

Anyone have additional input?

Jimmy
--
James "Jimmy" Wilson