[omniORB] question on usage of omniORB

Donna Maskell Donna.Maskell@udlp.com
Mon, 04 Mar 2002 15:40:20 -0600

I have seen several postings where people talk about launching their
applications with command line arguments to indicate the IOR of an
object reference. This confuses me. I have launched the echo server and
client on a Unix system, using the IOR output by the server when
launching the client, and this seems like a very awkward and hardly
robust interface. On the other hand, I found some code that allows a
server to bind an object to a name and allows a client to get a
reference using the same name. Aside from the need to make sure there is
not name duplication and that everyone who wants a handle to the same
object uses the same name, this seems a better option.

On the other hand, I don't believe the rest of you are out to lunch on
this, so what am I not seeing? What is the advantage of using an IOR or
URI or whatever as an argument? Is it for flexibility? I think my
applications will generally set up the same set of connections each time
they run. I would like to know about the more complicated usage in case
it does offer functionality I need.

Thank you in advance,

Donna