[omniORB] corbaloc for unix and SSL endpoints

Wed, 20 Feb 2002 12:08:31 +0000

On Friday 8 February, "Bastiaan Bakker" wrote:

> While browsing the documentation for the 'corbaloc' syntax, I noticed
> that currently it's not possible to denote a reference to a CORBA object
> listening on a Unix domain or SSL socket. I imagine that they would be
> something like:
> corbaloc:uiop:\/tmp\/omni.socket/object  and
> corbaloc:iiops:server.example.com:1443/object

I don't think there should be a corbaloc format for the Unix domain
transport, since it is omniORB specific. corbaloc should only be used
for getting hold of a small number of initial references, which are
then used to get other object references. If a server supports the
Unix transport, object references acquired from it will include
information about the Unix endpoint.

The SSL transport is slightly different, in that it will be common for
a server to only be contactable by SSL. In the absence of a standard
protocol name for it, I would suggest naming the protocol omnissl or
something like that, to make it obvious that the format is
non-portable.

It should be pretty easy to add a new protocol to the corbaloc parser.
If you want to give it a go, look at uri.cc and ior.cc.