[omniORB] omniORB 4.0.1 soon

Mark Zimmerman markzimm@frii.com
Fri Dec 20 15:56:02 2002

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 05:36:10PM +0200, Vitaly Prapirny wrote:
> Rainer Frohnhoefer wrote:
> >   Since the number of AIX users is probably not that large, I agree it
> > might be easiest to include the patch in its current form together with
> > a note stating that:
> >
> > a) GNU patch should be used
> > b) to build GNU patch with xlC5, one has to add '-qlanglvl=traditional'
> >   to the CFLAGS; at least, I had to on my system (patch v2.5.4)
> >
> >   There are also install packages with precompiled AIX binaries of GNU
> > utils available on the web, so obtaining gpatch shouldn't be a problem.
> >
> >   Regards,
> >         -Rainer.
> There are two problems with patch in its current form:
> 1. We must use different source trees for AIX and for other platforms.
> 2. When the original sources are changing someone must remake the patch.

Yes, but this has always been the situation for those platforms that
have patch files in the distribution.  The issue that started this
thread was the question of whether or not to incorporate some changes
to the patch file as part of 4.0.1.

The changes in question do not make this situation worse so I hope
they are incorporated because it would simplify my life in a small
way.

> Are there any problems to include the patch into the main sources (with
> compilation only for AIX) ?

I have wondered about this too but it is a separate issue which will
probably involve extended discussion in a new thread.

-- Mark