[omniORB] omniORB 4.0.1 soon

Rainer Frohnhoefer rain_list@arcor.de
Thu Dec 19 21:18:01 2002

> On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 08:32:08AM -0700, Mark Zimmerman wrote:
>> > Frohnhoefer thinks the patch is OK, except that AIX patch doesn't
>> like
>> > the format of the file. You didn't mention anything about the format
>> > of the file, but have problems with what it does. Can you two (and
>> > anyone else with AIX access) decide on what is needed?
>> > I always use gnu patch on all systems I use (linux, solaris, aix)
>> since that is the only way I can get consistent results. It never
>> occurred to me to try aix patch.
>> Does the unpatched patch file work with aix patch? If so, my patch
>> broke that and I will look into fixing it.
>
> I checked on my system and the original aix_xlC_5.0.patch will not
> work with AIX patch so it seems that compatibility with AIX patch is
> irrelevant. Here are my results:
>
> snoopy$ uname -a
> AIX snoopy 3 4 000544244C00
>
> # with AIX patch:
> snoopy$ /usr/bin/patch -p0 < patches/aix_xlC_5.0.patch Processing...
> I cannot find a patch in there anywhere.
>
> # with gnu patch:
> snoopy$ /usr/local/bin/patch -p0 < patches/aix_xlC_5.0.patch patching
> file include/omniORB4/cdrStream.h
> patching file mk/beforeauto.mk.in
> patching file src/services/mklib/dir.mk
> patching file src/tool/omniidl/cxx/dir.mk

  Since the number of AIX users is probably not that large, I agree it
might be easiest to include the patch in its current form together with
a note stating that:

a) GNU patch should be used
b) to build GNU patch with xlC5, one has to add '-qlanglvl=traditional'
  to the CFLAGS; at least, I had to on my system (patch v2.5.4)

  There are also install packages with precompiled AIX binaries of GNU
utils available on the web, so obtaining gpatch shouldn't be a problem.

  Regards,
	-Rainer.