[omniORB] Server & client on the same machine: no network used ?

Stefan Seefeld seefeld@sympatico.ca
Wed, 23 May 2001 10:47:14 -0500

"Brenneis, Steve" wrote:

> Hello Stefan,
>
> omniORB (or any other ORB, for that matter) really doesn't differentiate
> between co-located clients/servers and those in different address spaces.

that's not quite correct. For one, Stefan was asking for a local call, i.e.
one that stays on the same machine. Collocation is a different story (as you
recognize yourself).
Second, I don't think that ORBs can't differenciate between these situations.
Collocation is usually the easiest to optimize, since you can just drop in
a different proxy implementation that doesn't call any marshalling code.
If, however, server and client are in different processes, the ORB may find
out that the server side uses the same ORB, and based on that negotiate
alternative transport protocols (such as shm). It doesn't appear all that
unusual.

Regards,	Stefan