[omniORB] Problem with omniNames and JDK initial references

Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:26:08 +0100

On Monday 26 March, Michael Carland wrote:

> If I start omniNames with a clean logdir on port 2809, using the JDK ORB
> with "-ORBInitialPort 2809" I am able to get a list of initial
> references, which includes "NameService". But if I then call
> orb.resolve_initial_references("NameService"), an exception is thrown:

This is a well-known Java bug:

  http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4351366.html

I believe the problem only occurs if the Java ORB thinks the naming
server is on the same machine as itself. If you play games with the
hostname in the omniNames object reference, you can avoid the bug.

The best solution is to use a decent Java ORB, rather than the
built-in one.