[omniORB] More Info In Bad Param Exceptions?

W. Eliot Kimber eliot@isogen.com
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:08:21 -0500

Duncan Grisby wrote:

> On Tuesday 12 June, "W. Eliot Kimber" wrote:
>
> > At the risk of being a pest, I must ask: will OmniORB 4 provide more
> > detail in Bad Param exceptions? It reminds me of the first days of BASIC
> > programming :-)
>
> What detail do you have in mind?  The only extra info you can tag onto
> a system exception is a 16-bit minor code. In omniORB 4 we're in the
> process of putting meaningful values into the minor code, both
> OMG-specifed values and omniORB specific ones.

I was hoping to get the name of the parameter that is in fact bad. I'm
assuming that you're limited by what CORBA allows for messenging, which
it sounds like is the case. If all you've got is 16 bits, it would be
pretty hard to convey anything specific to the non-OmniORB code.

I've only really found it to be an annoyance in dealing with the ugly
unions I posted earlier. Not that big a deal, but one does get spoiled
by the immediate feedback languages like Python provide and it's painful
to have to go back to old standbys like careful line-by-line analysis of
code instead of the usual run-and-see-what-breaks style of programming
:-) I thought I had left those days behind when I stopped using punch
cards....

Thanks,

E.

W. Eliot Kimber | Lead Brain

1016 La Posada Dr. | Suite 240 | Austin TX  78752
    T 512.656.4139 |  F 512.419.1860 | eliot@isogen.com

w w w . d a t a c h a n n e l . c o m