[omniORB] Thread configuration.

Fri, 08 Jun 2001 15:03:19 +0100

On Friday 8 June, Peter.Ronnquist@nokia.com wrote:

> I have a newbie question regarding possible configuration of thread
> usage in omniorb.  Right now six threads are created for each server
> (I guess for some kind of thread pool) is used.

The threads you see are not part of a thread pool (in fact, omniORB
doesn't have a thread pool). When you start an omniORB server, it
creates a total of three threads. Two are used for clearing unused TCP
connections; the third is used to accept incoming connections. A
thread is also created for each incoming TCP connection.

In addition to these, there is also the main thread, of course. On
Linux, you'll see another thread which is the parent of all other
threads, called the "manager thread". That's just a Linux thread
implementation detail.

> My question is if it is possible to configure the number of threads
> used to a lower number or where to look in the source to make this
> change ourselves.

The threads are all necessary, so I'm afraid you can't easily get rid
of them.

There is more detail about omniORB's thread model in chapter 8 of the
omniORB manual.