[omniORB] Proxy factory support?

Chris Newbold cnewbold@laurelnetworks.com
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 16:35:29 -0500

I was just starting to investigate creating "smart" proxies
for some of our heavily-used objects to cache the values of
read-only attributes on the client-side.

At one point, there was a documented mechanism for creating
and installing proxy factories in omniORB. However, in 3.0.2
there is only passing mention of proxy factories in section
7.2 Basic Interface Type Checking; there is no discussion of
how to implement proxy factories.

Further, upon examining the generated code for object references
(_objref_Foo) I note that none of the methods corresponding to
the interface operations are declared virtual. This would seem
to preclude deriving my own "smart" proxy implementation from the
generated one.

Are user-written proxy factories still supported? If so, is there
any documentation?

-Chris Newbold
Laurel Networks, Inc.