[omniORB] Proxy factory support?

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
30 Jan 2001 11:04:26 +0000

Indeed in pre-3.0 omniORB, there is a way for an application to control or
change the creation of proxy objects. This is somehow drop, including the
documentation, in the 3.0.0 release.

The function has been reinstated in 3.0.2 but the documentation is still
missing. Let me just fill in the blanks here:

1. As you have noted, to create "smart" proxy, firstly you have to generate
   _objref_Foo classes with virtual methods. There is now an option to
   the compiler backend: -Wbvirtual_objref to accomplish
   this. Unfortunately, we haven't updated the usage output to document
   this feature.

2. Write your own proxy object to inherit from _objref_Foo. You also have
   to write your own proxy object factory to inherit from _pof_Foo.

3. Instantiate a single instance of your proxy object factory. The ORB will
   then call your pof whenever it needs a proxy object of interface Foo.

The 2.8 manual has a more detail explanation. The class methods may be
different slightly.

Sai-Lai

--
Sai-Lai Lo                                   S.Lo@uk.research.att.com