[omniORB] Synopsis 0.3 released

Stefan Seefeld seefeld@sympatico.ca
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 20:50:43 -0500

Craig Rodrigues wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How does this tool compare with doxygen?  We have started
> using doxygen at work, and the output is very nice:
> http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/

yeah, I know about doxygen. However, synopsis is written in
a different spirit. It's highly modular, in that it lets you
plug in new parsers and formatters. I think you are *much* more
flexible with this approach.

I don't know doxygen's inner workings in detail, I just know
that it's all one single tool, i.e. a single parser that needs
to know about all the languages, and even document string conventions
being used.
It wasn't fit for what I wanted it to do, that's why I started
synopsis. My main interest is the berlin project, where we have
a pretty big base of IDL interfaces and implementations in various
languages (notably C++ and python). So I wanted a tool that understands
all of them, and can even cross reference between these modules.
That's now possible. I don't think that doxygen can do that.

In any case, synopsis is still relatively young. A lot of ideas
are there and need to be fleshed out. Help is always welcome ! :)

A big acknowledgement has to go to Duncan, as his wonderful omniidl
implementation provided the basic ideas, I just generalized the AST,
and added some plugins around that :)

Regards,	Stefan