[omniORB] NameServer capacity

Attila Pletyak attila.pletyak@anemosky.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 14:48:50 +0100

> Almost all of the code in omniNames is to do with the logging. If you
> don't need logging, it would be very easy to implement your own
> service which stored a map of names to object references in memory.
> You could either use the CosNaming interfaces (or a subset of them),
> or just a simple interface relevant to your system.
>
> A small application using an STL map (or a hashmap, or whatever) would
> cope fine with what you want. In fact, you could probably get
> acceptable performance with about 30 lines of Python and omniORBpy.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Duncan.

Thanks. I think I've sent my answer to the wrong address again, so I
write it down, sorry if I duplicate myself.

So we will go on implementing this NameServer-like object.

There is still one question: Can one nameserver bear 400.000 requests
consecutively? I mean I saw that the NameServer is creating newer and
newer threads if it gets big load. But there is a Linux op system limit
on the number of processes run by one user. Is the omniORB takes this
limit into account? Or I have to dodge it somehow?

TIA:

Attila Pletyak