[omniORB] Naming Service grief

Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:07:05 +0000

On Monday 19 February, Andrew Parkin wrote:

> I am trying to get a C++ OmniORB client to talk to the Java JDK1.2.2 ORB.
> Can anyone see why this code works when connecting to the Naming Service
> using the IOR reference...

[...]
> ...but this code using a URL does not?
>

> CORBA::Object_var obj =
> orb->string_to_object("corbaname:iiop:localhost:900/NameService");

That will only work if the naming service supports the interoperable
naming service specification. The JDK ORB doesn't. The JDK ORB has a
proprietary mechanism for specifying the initial host and port for the
naming service. Conveniently for you, omniORB supports this
proprietary extension.

Run your program with command line arguments

  -ORBInitialHost localhost -ORBInitialPort 900

or put

  ORBInitialHost localhost
  ORBInitialPort 900

in omniORB.cfg, or entries with the same keys in the NT registry.