[omniORB] omniNames and POA

Mon, 05 Feb 2001 11:03:25 +0000

On Sunday 4 February, jon@totient.demon.co.uk wrote:

> I've been looking at the src of omniNames (mainly as an example
> because it used the persistent lifespan policy)
>
> However I am curious as to why it creates 2 POA's and then
> activates them? Is this for backward compatibility with an older
> version or is there something more subtle going on?

Most of the objects created by omniNames are created in a normal POA,
which has the system id policy. However, the root naming context has
to have the special object key "NameService", so it is created in the
magical "omniINSPOA", which uses the object id as the object key.

The omniINSPOA is also used for backwards compatibility with log files
created with omniORB 2.x, so it can create objects with the correct
12-byte object keys.