[omniORB] Is resolve_initial_references() implemented right?

Maged Mokhtar maged.mokhtar@skystream.com
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 08:50:46 -0800

> Why?  Why not make them share a single version of the omniORB library?
> What advantage is there in trying to give each DLL its own version of
> omniORB?

   [Jaap de Wolff]
>> When I use Load Library to load a dll, this dll will first load the
>> dll's it is depending on. It will share the code, but not the data.
(There
>> are ways to make it possible to let DLL's share data also, but you have
>> do this in a ugly way).

 This does not answer the question but rather proves the point you should
use
 one shared version of the omniORB library ( we want to share the data ! )

 o If you want to share data use 1 copy of the library.
 o If, for some reason, you do not want to share data between dlls, then use
multiple
   copies.

 As an example, the c runtime library dll ( msvcrt.dll ) , you should share
1 copy
 to be used by all other modules in your process. If for some reason you
chose to use
 multiple copies, that is fine, but if for example you allocate a pointer in
one module
 and free it in another your process will crash.