[omniORB] omni3.0.4 on HPUX - more probs

Mon, 03 Dec 2001 18:19:33 +0000

On Monday 3 December, Kevin Williams wrote:

> More information...  Looks like our 2.7.1 omniORB was built with GCC.  Also,
> I made a mistake when testing aCC-built C++ libraries linked into GCC-built
> C++ programs - doesn't work, even when using the native HPUX linker.

Different C++ compilers use different name mangling schemes, so it is
fundamentally impossible to use a C++ library built with aCC from GCC.

> Anyhow, it looks like my original problem has returned - I've gotta build
> omniORB 3.0.4 on HPUX 10.20 using GCC and when I try, the _omniidlmodule.so
> (or even .sl ) shared library is not being built for some reason.  Perhaps
> someone has a mk/platforms/hppa_hpux_10.20.mk that works with GCC - or
> perhaps someone can point me in the right direction to build that shared
> library manually.  Or hell, just send me a _omniidlmodule.so built using GCC
> 2.95.2 on HPUX.  ANYTHING! <grin>

As I said before, you need to write the make rules to build omniidl
with GCC on HPUX. If it's possible at all, it shouldn't be hard. It
might be impossible, but I doubt it.

Alternatively, given that you have a working omniidl, compiled with
aCC, you can just use that, and do the rest of the build with gcc. Not
pretty, but it should work.