[omniORB] resolve_initial_references hangs

Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:07:07 +0100

On Monday 16 April, Mark Zimmerman wrote:

> We have an application in which a shell script starts many instances
> of a program in parallel. When the number of instances is 'too large'
> (meaning some number that is greater than eight but less than 32 -
> I've not narrowed it down) many of the programs get stuck at the
> resolve_initial_references ("NameService") call and never unblock,
> even long after the successful instances terminate.

Strange. How are you configuring your initial references?  Try running
the clients with arguments -ORBtraceLevel 10 -ORBtraceInvocations.
That might show what's going on. Alternatively, it might change the
timing so the problem doesn't occur any more...

Another thing to try is to attach to the frozen process with a
debugger, and see where it is blocked.