[omniORB] problems running on freeBSD

Gary D. Duzan gdd0@gte.com
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 15:49:18 -0400

   Unfortunately, the BSDs are pretty far behind with respect to
thread support. I would not be surprised at all if all your libraries
had to be compiled with threads enabled for it to work properly.
Just be glad you aren't using NetBSD which doesn't have a pthreads
package integrated at all, only several threading packages (ports
in FreeBSD parlance) available.
   Good luck.

					Gary Duzan
					Verizon Laboratories

In Message <39C7B629.A325B16A@berlin-consortium.org> ,
   Stefan Seefeld <stefan@berlin-consortium.org> wrote:

=>I'm sorry for a slightly offtopic question. In the hope that
=>some FreeBSD experts hang out here, I dare to ask:
=>
=>We are trying to port the berlin server to *bsd. Everything
=>compiles fine, but the server crashes in the omnithread::init
=>function. We have been speculating about the possible reasons
=>and came up with this:
=>
=>the berlin server links to a couple of libraries, partly compiled
=>with explicit thread support (g++ -pthread) and others without.
=>the libs with thread support link themselfs to 'libc_r', the others
=>to 'libc' (ldd thus shows that the server needs both, libc_r and libc).
=>Can this be the cause of our trouble ?
=>
=>If so, what can we do about that ? I can't imagine that we are forced
=>to compile all libraries we use with thread support, somehow the linker
=>needs to be able to deal with that (after all, what would we do if
=>we only had a binary distribution of one of the third party libraries ?)
=>
=>Any help is highly appreciated !
=>
=>Stefan
=>_______________________________________________________
=>
=>Stefan Seefeld
=>Departement de Physique
=>Universite de Montreal
=>email: seefelds@magellan.umontreal.ca
=>
=>
=>      ...ich hab' noch einen Koffer in Berlin...
=>