[omniORB] problems running on freeBSD

Stefan Seefeld stefan@berlin-consortium.org
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 14:53:29 -0400

I'm sorry for a slightly offtopic question. In the hope that
some FreeBSD experts hang out here, I dare to ask:

We are trying to port the berlin server to *bsd. Everything
compiles fine, but the server crashes in the omnithread::init
function. We have been speculating about the possible reasons
and came up with this:

the berlin server links to a couple of libraries, partly compiled
with explicit thread support (g++ -pthread) and others without.
the libs with thread support link themselfs to 'libc_r', the others
to 'libc' (ldd thus shows that the server needs both, libc_r and libc).
Can this be the cause of our trouble ?

If so, what can we do about that ? I can't imagine that we are forced
to compile all libraries we use with thread support, somehow the linker
needs to be able to deal with that (after all, what would we do if
we only had a binary distribution of one of the third party libraries ?)

Any help is highly appreciated !

Stefan

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique