[omniORB] omniorb and omniorbpy speed

Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:30:02 +0000

On Thursday 30 November, Michael Lauer wrote:

> Puuh... this sounds scary... but seriously... I'm developing CORBA
> applications with Python and omniORBpy and I'm very happy with the
> speed. Isn't the time spent in Python and in omniORBpy less
> important in distributed applications because of the network speed
> penalty ?

It all depends what you are doing. Clearly if Python is fast enough
for your application, then speed is not a problem. In a widely
distributed system, network latency and bandwidth become a factor in
the application's speed, along with others like design of the
interfaces, choice of programming language, and choice of algorithms.

There are no simple answers about whether you should use Python or
C++. A good option for many applications is to develop things quickly
using Python, then re-write portions in C++ if they are too slow. In
most systems, the amount of C++ required would be minimal. Of course
there are also issues of static typing versus dynamic typing, and all
that sort of thing.