[omniORB] Re: remote object references

Glenn A. Hochberg ghochberg@att.com
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 14:36:31 -0500

A common solution that is used is to employ the Naming Service to
register only the "top-level" objects in a service.  Some of these
top-level objects are typically object factories that dynamically create
new instances or locate existing ones.  For example, you might have a
single SessionFactory object in a server that can create new Session
objects or find existing ones:

interface Session {
    readonly attribute string id;
    /* some methods */
};

interface SessionFactory {
    Session createSession();
    exception NotFound {};
    Session findSession(string id) raises (NotFound);
};

This kind of design reduces the overhead of having every CORBA object
register with the NamingService, and reduces the load on the
NamingService of all the lookups for the individual objects.  In the
above example, since the SessionFactory creates the Session objects, it
can save pointers to them in a map or hash.

    -Glenn