[omniORB] Re: remote object references

Bartosz Klimek bartekk@ics.agh.edu.pl
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 12:44:04 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Ji-Yong D. Chung wrote:

> Jim Moe wrote:
>
> >>  If I create a CORBA object on the first machine, and if I want to pass
> >> that object's remote reference to the second, can I make the first machine
> >> obtain it, and pass it to the second host? In other words, if I create a
> >> local corba object and obtain its CORBA object reference (created on the
> >> localhost), can I send it off to other hosts as valid object reference? Or
> >> is the obtained reference only good on the original host?.
> >>
> >   This is what the COSNaming Service is for. The server on mach #1
> >registers itself with COSNaming. The client on mach #2 queries COSNaming
> >for the object reference of the object it desires.
>
>     While your solution probably would work, IMHO, it does not quite seem "right."
(...)

I can't help commenting that. Obtaining object references from Naming
Service is no different that obtaining them from any other CORBA server
(from the technical point of view). So: if Naming Service can pass them to
your program, any other server can do it as well.

Best regards,

---
Bartosz Klimek

Distributed Systems Research Group